Be it for letting or sales, choosing the right agent for you is of enormous importance. With an increasing number of agents all vying for your business, asking the right questions at the outset will greatly increase your chances of finding the right buyers/tenants.
Matters that should influence agent selection include:
- Can they demonstrate a good knowledge of the local market?
- Have they sold/let in your area recently?
- Can they discuss recent sale/rental prices in the area?
- How many potential buyers do they currently have registered, looking in that area?
- For clients with reasonable expectations, how long is the average campaign?
- Will they help you by doing viewings, when required?
- What are the costs and, critically, do you need to pay to cancel the contract?
- Where will your adverts be seen online? Being found on recognised portals can result in several more viewings.
- How often do they have contact with their clients, even when there is little action to report?
- Will they continuously review your campaign to optimise chances of success?
- Will they provide you with tips on presentation?
- Are they a member of either the Property Ombudsman (formerly known as the Ombudsman for Estate Agents) or Ombudsman Services? All estate agents must belong to one of these Office of Fair Trading-approved redress schemes. You can check on the schemes websites whether an agent is a member.